Covenant of Mayors Office
63-67 Rue d’Arlon
Covenant Coordinators are public authorities that are in a position to provide strategic guidance, technical and financial support to Covenant of Mayors signatories and municipalities signing up to it.
Alongside financial assistance, Covenant Coordinators typically support signatories in conducting a CO2 emission inventory and/or a climate risk assessment, as well as in preparing and implementing their Sustainable Energy and Climate Action Plans.
- Covenant Territorial Coordinators are decentralised authorities, such as regions, provinces or grouping of local authorities,
- Covenant National Coordinators are national public bodies such as ministries or national energy agencies.
The European Commission recognises them as important allies to support Covenant of Mayors signatories to meet their commitments and increase the impact of the Covenant.
Città Metropolitana di Genova
|Main contact:||Fausto Brizi|
|Phone:||(+39) 010 54 99 472|
The Metropolitan City of Genova included the CoM as a key action in its policies against climate change and green economy promotion.
The strategy is mainly aimed to small size municipalities to help them to overcome the lack of resources (funding, skill ...).
The solution is facilitating collective actions and pooling resources through the development of a toolbox ready to be used by mucipalities.
A bottom up approach is crucial to be effective: participation and citizens awareness are the key words
A strong technical approach is crucial, too.
Support provided to signatories
- Dissemination of Covenant promotion materials (brochure, thematic leaflets, etc.)
- Adaptation / translation of Covenant promotional materials to the national/regional context or development of a specific publication on the Covenant
- Leverage of own communication tools (e.g. newsletter, website, mailing lists, etc.)
- Organisation of events
- Indirect support through staff assigned
- Political and/or technical working group(s) set up
- Development or adaptation of technical guidelines
- Consultancy commissioned for the technical support
- Other (please specify)
> own staff, training
- Creation of experience-sharing opportunities between signatories (e.g. Extranet, discussion forum, blogs, etc.)
- Cooperation with the media
- Organisation of meetings with key stakeholders (e.g. national government representatives, private or banking sector)
- Support to signatories for the organisation of their Local Energy Days
- Organisation of Territorial Energy Days
Description: The Baseline Emission Inventory, specially developed as BEI for the signatories of the “Covenant of Mayors” in the Province, is a tool that shows the CO2 emissions, giving the local authorities the information necessary to develop their policies and find the best strategies to tackle climate change. Thanks to a unique inventory for all the 67 municipalities of the Province (all < 30.000 inh. except Genoa) it is possible to overcome their lack of skills and resources necessary to develop such a complex tool. It also facilitates consistency between various levels of institutional planning and it’s cheaper. The inventory, certified ISO 14064, was referred to 2005 and it’s now updated to 2010 and 2012. It uses local data on IPCC methodology. It contains the emissions due to direct and indirect final energy consumption and it includes all the sectors. It is public and available online.
Signatories involved: all the signatories in the Province of Genova
Rate this benchmark: (2 votes)
|BASELINE CO2 INVENTORY IN PROVINCE OF GENOA||en|
|"Condomini intelligenti in Provincia di Genova"||en|
The sole responsibility for the content of this website lies with the authors. It does not reflect the opinion of the European Union. The European Commission is not responsible for any use that may be made of the information contained therein.
Covenant of Mayors for Climate & Energy
The Covenant Step by Step
Local and Regional Energy Agencies
Monitoring Action Plans
Signatories’ Benchmark of Excellence
Coordinators and Supporters’ Benchmark of Excellence
As a Local Authority
As a Province or Region
As a Network of Local Authorities
As an Associated Partner
As a Local and Regional Energy Agency