Covenant of Mayors Office
63-67 Rue d’Arlon
The Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) is an easy way to find your answers about the Covenant of Mayors
Covenant of Mayors
The Covenant of Mayors for Climate & Energy brings together thousands of local and regional authorities voluntarily committed to implementing EU climate and energy objectives on their territory.
Signatories now pledge to reduce CO2 emissions by at least 40% by 2030 and to adopt an integrated approach to tackling mitigation and adaptation to climate change. . A question? Please check the FAQ page.
- What is the Covenant of Mayors?
- What commitments do Covenant signatories have to fulfil?
- What do the Covenant signatories get in return?
- Why is it free to sign up for the Covenant of Mayors?
- What does the New Integrated Covenant of Mayors for Climate and Energy include? - The visions and the tangible commitments
- My local authority is already a signatory of the Covenant of Mayors - How do we extend the existing commitments to the New COM?
- What is a Baseline Emission Inventory?
- Is it possible to use existing tools for calculating the CO2 emissions?
- Which is the baseline year for calculating the CO2 emissions?
- What is the scope of the Baseline Emission Inventory?
- Which approach may be chosen when establishing the Baseline Emission Inventory?
- Which sectors should be considered in the Baseline Emission Inventory?
- Which CO2 emission factors should be used?
- Where can the Covenant signatories get additional LCA emission factors for biomass and renewable energies?
- Can the renewable electricity installations, owned or operated by the local authority outside its territory, be considered in the Baseline Emission Inventory?
- Can the Covenant signatories include emission data on agriculture/forestry/fisheries within the Baseline Emission Inventory (BEI)?
- Are CO2 emissions from biofuels/biomass included?
- When to carry out a Monitoring Emission Inventory (MEI)?
- How are the emission factors for electricity calculated?
- How are the emission factors for district heating calculated?
- What is a SEAP?
- What is a SECAP?
- Which sectors/fields of action is considered in a SEAP and in a SECAP?
- Can an already existing local climate and energy plan (SEAP) be sufficient to fulfil the requirements a SEAP/SECAP?
- When to submit the SEAP/SECAP?
- How to submit the SEAP/SECAP?
- How can a group of Covenant signatories submit a joint action plan?
- How to request an extension of your SEAP/SECAP submission deadline?
- What if the SEAP/SECAP has not been submitted within the deadline?
- What happens once the SEAP is submitted? - SEAP/SECAP assessment
- What is a SEAP/SECAP template?
- When filling in the SEAP/SECAP template, should the Covenant signatories only report on data of their Baseline Emission Inventory (BEI) or can they share further inventories already compiled since the baseline year?
- When filling in the SEAP/SECAP template, should the Covenant signatories also report on some of the actions already carried out causing considerable CO2 emission reductions?
- Under which sector/field of action shall the Covenant signatories report on the climate change mitigation actions and measures in the SEAP/SECAP template?
- What is a monitoring report?
- What should the monitoring report include and when should it be submitted?
- How to submit the monitoring report?
- Which financial facilities to use?
- What is available for local authorities under the Horizon 2020 programme?
- What is a Covenant Supporter?
- What is the role of Covenant Supporters?
- How, in practice, are Covenant Supporters involved in the initiative and what are the benefits?
- How to apply?
- Covenant Supporters and the new Covenant of Mayors
- What is a Covenant Coordinator?
- What is the role of Covenant Coordinators?
- How, in practice, are the Covenant Coordinators involved in the initiative and what are the benefits?
- How to apply?
- Covenant Coordinators and the new Covenant of Mayors
- Why should the LAREAs be involved in the Covenant of Mayors?
- How to be involved in the Covenant of Mayors process?
Covenant of Mayors for Climate & Energy
The Covenant Step by Step
Local and Regional Energy Agencies
Sustainable Energy Action Plans
Monitoring Action Plans
Signatories’ Benchmark of Excellence
Coordinators and Supporters’ Benchmark of Excellence
As a Local Authority
As a Province or Region
As a Network of Local Authorities
As an Associated Partner
As a Local and Regional Energy Agency